Welcome to our first Low Waste Living workshop!
If one of your New Year resolutions is to learn how to reduce plastic waste then this workshop is perfect for you! Together we will up-cycle fabrics and turn them into new reusable products that are simple swaps in the home to reduce plastic use and waste.
Megan will guide you through some of the simpler swaps in the kitchen, in a friendly, non-overwhelming way, to help you reduce waste and save money too!
Then we’ll learn how to sew reusable kitchen sponges (also known as unsponges), kitchen towel (unpaper towel) and reusable produce bags.
This session is suitable for beginners and skilled sewers. Class sizes are kept small making sure that everyone gets attention and assistance when needed. All Simply Repair workshops are relaxed, comfortable and open to all.
What you will learn
- How to sew basic stitches on a sewing machine.
- Simple techniques that can be used for making other reusable items at home.
- A brief introduction to low waste living.
We will provide:
- all sewing equipment: including machines if you need to borrow.
- all the fabrics you’ll need: toweling fabric for your reusable kitchen towels and bamboo fabric(with antibacterial properties) for your sponge.
- guided instruction for making these reusable kitchen products.
- Fairtrade hot drinks and biscuits.
Please let us know in advance if you will need to borrow a machine to avoid disappointment. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What to bring
- If you have a sewing machine, please bring it along as we have limited numbers available to borrow.
- If you have fabric that you would love to repurpose then bring it along.
- Please note if you’re a sewing beginner it’s best to avoid stretch fabrics. Any old towels or flannels can be used for the kitchen towels.
Being accessible and inclusive to everyone is important to us at Simply Repair. If you want to join us on any of the workshops but financial circumstances prevent this, please email email@example.com so we can help. All requests are confidential, and we offer a no questions asked policy. We will do our best to accommodate, and in the event where the workshop is already full we can discuss future options.
Your workshop host
About Simply Repair South Lakes
Our making and mending workshops bring people together to learn or refresh a range of repair and crafting skills in a friendly, informal atmosphere led by local tutors and volunteers. All profits are used by Simply Repair to fund more repair cafes and share more repair skills.
Our aims at Simply Repair are to reduce waste, share skills, improve wellbeing and build communities. We bring together people with skills to repair and those who want to learn how. We hold repair events where you can get small electricals, clothes, furniture, toys and other household items fixed free of charge.
We continue to run only small groups at our workshops. The venue has plenty of space to remain socially distanced and everyone’s safety is of upmost importance to help everyone enjoy the event with confidence and comfort.
Refunds and Cancellations
Tickets will be refunded if:
- the event is cancelled
- the event is rescheduled, and you cannot make the new date
- the event changes location, and you cannot attend
If you have been charged a booking fee, unfortunately this cannot be refunded.
If you are unable to attend please email as soon as possible and we will access the request on a case by case basis. Unfortunately, we cannot offer refunds if:
- you can no longer attend the event due to personal circumstances
- you have changed your mind about attending the event
Keep up to date with us at: