On this half day course, you will learn all the techniques you need to design and paint a variety of traditional canal art motifs and complete a piece of canal ware of your own to take home. You will have time before lunch to practice various brushstrokes and motifs, then come back to design and paint your own unique piece.
Canal art, famous for the ‘Roses & Castles’ imagery and bold patterns is one of many traditional British crafts that are at risk of dying out.
Your host is Anne Nichols, an experienced canal ware artist with bags of enthusiasm for sharing her skills with learners of all abilities in a friendly and supportive environment. You’ll be inspired by the many and varied canalware projects that Anne has created and collected.
This relaxed pace, small group workshop is designed for painting beginners as well as more confident artists. You will leave feeling inspired to continue canalware painting at home.
You will learn:
- the basic brushstrokes and designs of canalware painting
- how to build up each image in layers for a 3D effect
- a little of the history and tradition of canal art
- how to prepare and decorate your own canal ware items at home
We will provide:
- paints, brushes and practice plates
- a selection of small items prepared in traditional canalware colours to decorate and take home
- guided step-by-step instruction from Anne and lots of pictorial instruction sheets
- organic, Fairtrade hot drinks and palm oil-free biscuits
What to bring
- A packed lunch for yourself. We’ll eat in the Space2Create kitchen (cutlery & crockery available).
- An apron or old clothing you don’t mind getting paint on.
- Your favourite paintbrushes if you have some. If not, we will have plenty to share.
- An item you would like to decorate, if you have one. If not we will have plenty for everyone.
There may not be time to prepare and decorate your item during the workshop, but Anne will be happy to discuss your ideas and advise.
Being accessible and inclusive to everyone is important to us at Simply Repair. If you want to join us on any of the workshops but financial circumstances prevent this, please email so we can help. All requests are confidential, and we offer a no questions asked policy. We will do our best to accommodate, and in the event where the workshop is already full we can discuss future options.
About Simply Repair South Lakes
Our making and mending workshops bring people together to learn or refresh a range of repair and crafting skills in a friendly, informal atmosphere led by local tutors and volunteers. All profits are used by Simply Repair to fund more repair cafes and share more repair skills.
Our aims at Simply Repair are to reduce waste, share skills, improve wellbeing and build communities. We bring together people with skills to repair and those who want to learn how. We hold repair events where you can get small electricals, clothes, furniture, toys and other household items fixed free of charge.
We continue to run only small groups at our workshops. The venue has plenty of space to remain socially distanced and everyone’s safety is of upmost importance to help everyone enjoy the event with confidence and comfort.
Refunds and Cancellations
Tickets will be refunded if:
- the event is cancelled
- the event is rescheduled, and you cannot make the new date
- the event changes location, and you cannot attend
If you have been charged a booking fee, unfortunately this cannot be refunded.
If you are unable to attend please email as soon as possible and we will access the request on a case by case basis. Unfortunately, we cannot offer refunds if:
- you can no longer attend the event due to personal circumstances
- you have changed your mind about attending the event
Keep up to date with us at: