New to darning? Need a refresher? In this relaxed, friendly workshop you will be introduced to the art and craft of darning.
Karen will guide you step by step through a simple visible mend for damaged or worn knitwear, using colourful yarns to transform those flaws into features! You will leave the workshop feeling inspired and confident to continue repairing and reviving your favourite items in creative ways.
Suitable for beginners. Class sizes are kept small making sure that everyone gets attention and assistance when needed. All Simply Repair workshops are relaxed, comfortable and open to all.
You will learn how to:
- mend a hole or reinforce a worn area in any knitted fabric
- select the right yarn or thread to suit your item
- let your creative juices flow, using colourful yarns for visible mends
We will provide:
- darning needles, thread and darning mushrooms (or equivalent) for you to borrow
- darning thread and yarn in various colours
- guided step by step instruction to the basic darning technique
- organic, Fairtrade hot drinks and palm oil-free biscuits
What to bring
- a few knitted items that you would like to revive: socks, gloves, jumpers, anything!
- any coloured thread or yarns that you would particularly like to use for your mend.
- a darning kit if you have one: sewing or embroidery needle, small sewing scissors, rubber bands.
- a darning mushroom if you have one: a small glass jam jar, tennis ball, or similar will also work.
Being accessible and inclusive to everyone is important to us at Simply Repair. If you want to join us on any of the workshops but financial circumstances prevent this, please email email@example.com so we can help. All requests are confidential, and we offer a no questions asked policy. We will do our best to accommodate, and in the event where the workshop is already full we can discuss future options.
Your workshop host
Your host for this workshop is Karen Bond, founder of My mum taught me to sew and leader of the Simply Repair Sewing Club. Karen is an experienced sewing teacher with a relaxed, fun attitude to learning and a particular skill for tapping into the creativity of her students. Find out more about Karen on Facebook or Instagram.
About Simply Repair South Lakes
Our making and mending workshops bring people together to learn or refresh a range of repair and crafting skills in a friendly, informal atmosphere led by local tutors and volunteers. All profits are used by Simply Repair to fund more repair cafes and share more repair skills.
Our aims at Simply Repair are to reduce waste, share skills, improve wellbeing and build communities. We bring together people with skills to repair and those who want to learn how. We hold repair events where you can get small electricals, clothes, furniture, toys and other household items fixed free of charge.
We continue to run only small groups at our workshops. The venue has plenty of space to remain socially distanced and everyone’s safety is of upmost importance to help everyone enjoy the event with confidence and comfort.
Refunds and Cancellations
Tickets will be refunded if:
- the event is cancelled
- the event is rescheduled, and you cannot make the new date
- the event changes location, and you cannot attend
If you have been charged a booking fee, unfortunately this cannot be refunded.
If you are unable to attend please email as soon as possible and we will access the request on a case by case basis. Unfortunately, we cannot offer refunds if:
- you can no longer attend the event due to personal circumstances
- you have changed your mind about attending the event
Keep up to date with us at: