Immerse yourself in a joyful afternoon of creative crafting with Simply Repair.
Five of our friendly and talented volunteers will be on hand to teach you the basics of their favourite making & mending crafts, each in a 30 minute mini workshop. Under their guidance you will produce your own unique festive craft creations, saving money on decorations to keep or on gifts to give to your friends and family.
Love crafts? Hate waste? You’ll love this celebration of repair, reuse and recycling!
What will you learn?
- Appliqué: upcycle worn clothing or textiles with festive fabric, buttons or bows.
- Crochet: basic crochet stitches to create a beautiful hanging ornament.
- Felting: simple techniques to create a greetings card and/or bookmark from scrap wool.
- Macramé: simple knotting techniques to revive boring or bashed Christmas baubles.
- Papermaking: get creative with gift tags and make your own paper sheets to take home.
How this unique workshop will work
- Participants will move around all five workshop stations through the afternoon.
- All workshops last 30 minutes with short breaks in between for tea, cake, rest & chat!
- Each workshop group will be small so everyone can get attention and assistance.
- At the end of this workshop, you will leave feeling confident to experiment further with all of these making & mending techniques, and inspired to create more of your own craft projects.
- is suitable for beginners, experienced crafters are also welcome.
- provides guided instruction for all five crafting skills.
- is relaxed, comfortable and open to all.
- includes Fairtrade hot drinks and biscuits.
We will provide:
all equipment for crochet, felting, macramé, papermaking and sewing.
all materials, including scrap yarns, wool, string, paper, fabrics, buttons and threads.
examples of festive making & mending to get your creative juices flowing!
What to bring?
- Items that need mending, if you have them: an old jumper, any worn or dented baubles.
- Oddments and scraps of fabrics, yarns, ribbons, string that you’d like to reuse.
- If you have a basic sewing kit, crochet hook or felting needle, please bring them with you.
Being accessible and inclusive to everyone is important to us at Simply Repair. If you want to join us on any of the workshops but financial circumstances prevent this, please email email@example.com so we can help. All requests are confidential, and we offer a no questions asked policy. We will do our best to accommodate, and in the event where the workshop is already full we can discuss future options.
Your workshop hosts
You will be guided step by step through each of these five practical mini workshops by Karen, Helen, Anne, Megan and Lou from the Simply Repair volunteer team.
About Simply Repair South Lakes
Our making and mending workshops bring people together to learn or refresh a range of repair and crafting skills in a friendly, informal atmosphere led by local tutors and volunteers. All profits are used by Simply Repair to fund more repair cafes and share more repair skills.
Our aims at Simply Repair are to reduce waste, share skills, improve wellbeing and build communities. We bring together people with skills to repair and those who want to learn how. We hold repair events where you can get small electricals, clothes, furniture, toys and other household items fixed free of charge.
Due to Covid-19 we will only be running small groups at our workshops for the time being. The venue has plenty of space to remain socially distanced and everyone’s safety is of upmost importance to help everyone enjoy the event with confidence and comfort. We are taking extra precautions such as cleaning and sanitising all equipment and work stations before and after each class.
Refunds and Cancellations
Tickets will be refunded if:
- the event is cancelled
- the event is rescheduled, and you cannot make the new date
- the event changes location, and you cannot attend
- If you have been charged a booking fee, unfortunately this cannot be refunded.
- If you are unable to attend please email as soon as possible and we will access the request on a case by case basis. Unfortunately, we cannot offer refunds if:
- you can no longer attend the event due to personal circumstances
- you have changed your mind about attending the event
Keep up to date with us at: